salmon with bacon saute

6:34 PM


So, I know I mentioned that I would be featuring some Laura in the Kitchen recipes and recipe adaptations for a little while...

HOWEVER, I decided to change my mind and try something new! This recipe is actually something I made up on my own. I recently was introduced to this amazing book, The Flavor Bible.  It basically gives you an extensive list of ingredient pairings and combos! I had bought some gorgeous salmon steaks from Marukai Supermarket, one of my local grocery stores, and I thought I would feature them in a savory, bold dish.  The book provided me with a list of ingredients that would go particularly well with salmon, and I decided to create this meal. Hope you enjoy! Also, if you want to check the book out, click here.

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp olive oil
4 slices bacon, diced
5-6 grape or cherry tomatoes, diced
1/2 onion, diced
3 salmon steaks

I started out with three gorgeous salmon steaks.  They were medium-sized and were very fresh.  I always recommend using fresh fish when possible; there is an enormous difference in taste.  I simply gave the steaks a quick rinse and patted them dry.  Then, I seasoned them with a little salt and pepper.  After seasoning, I heated the olive oil in large non-stick pan over medium heat; once the oil was hot, I placed the salmon steaks in the pan.



I cooked the fish steaks under they were golden brown on both sides, flipping every 2 minutes. My salmon took 10-12 minutes to fully cook.  Please make sure NOT to overcook your fish.  Once they are done, plate the fish and let the steaks rest.

 While the salmon was cooking, I began the process of cooking the saute. I decided to cook the bacon first, placing the diced bacon in a medium-sized non-stick pan over medium-high heat.  I did not add any oil, since the bacon I used had more than enough fat to cook itself.  Once the bacon was crispy and browned (this took about 10 minutes), I took the bits out of the pan with a slotted spoon, leaving the bacon fat in the pan. I lowered the heat to medium then added in the onions and tomatoes to the pan.


If you feel uncomfortable using bacon fat, you can totally wipe the pan clean and use some olive oil or whatever oil you prefer to saute the veggies (I suggest either olive, canola, or vegetable). Although you can do whatever you like, I think that frying the vegetables in the bacon fat gives them SO much gorgeous flavor.  I didn't need to add any extra oil to my veggies, but if your bacon did not have as much fat as mine, feel free to add a bit more oil so that the veggies don't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn (no good).  Once the veggies start to wilt and caramelize, add the bacon back into the pan for about 1 minute.



After about 1 minute, take the pan off the heat.  Spoon the saute over your fish (which should already be done and resting).  Then, you are done!

The first thing that I noticed was that this dish was not particularly photogenic (as shown by the above photo).  However, despite this fact, this dish was incredibly tasty and filling.  I loved the punch of the bacon and the sweetness of the tomatoes.  I especially loved the salmon steaks with this dish; you can use fillets as well, but I always prefer the steaks. The steaks are delightfully fatty and so flavorful! Anyway, I suggest eating this with some steamed veggies, edamame, or steamed rice. Enjoy, and hope you like it!

You Might Also Like

0 comments